I hope you had a great weekend. The next eight weeks of school are going to be very busy as we head into fall. Please stay updated by checking here--and as always, feel free to email or call with questions.
Homework
We have just completed our first week of homework. Be thinking about how it went because our parent meeting will cover this. If it went well, be ready to share some of the things you did to make it go smoothly. If you struggled, be prepared to ask questions.
Some suggestions I have heard from parents in the past is to do one piece a night--and one calligraphy a night. Also, I have heard that some parents like to let their child play a little before working to help them to focus better, or take breaks in between things. Another parent had suggested that maybe you set up a study area just for the child--not in front of the TV or other distractions. Some students enjoy having that "special" area to study with their own pencils and special supplies. These were all great suggestions we had last year. Please make sure though that you are reading nightly! Thanks!
Spelling Test
Spelling tests will come home today to. I grade these on a scale of how many correct out of 12. Then--I grade the sentences on a check system. I have explained this to your students already, but in case they missed or didn't understand, here is how I grade.
Check Minus--means the student didn't even try
Check--They tried, but forgot a period, finger spaces, and end marks
Check +--they remembered the three sentence elements but had words spelled wrong
Check ++--means that they had it perfect
If you have questions on it ,please let me know! Your children did very well this last week!
Jog-A-Thon
Your child will be coming home with a Jog-A-Thon packet today. Please read the information and send back the needed materials as they are due. Thanks!
Book Orders
Book orders are due on Friday! Thanks for helping our class to get free books!
Picture Day
Picture Day is Wednesday. Send your money in with your child and they will give it to their morning teacher. We have picture day in the morning.
Volunteers
I have sent home the first two weeks of volunteers. If you'd like to come in and help, that would be great! We still have several openings. We can handle about two parents a slot. If I missed you, please email me and let me know. If you are on but can't make it, let me know as well. We are very easygoing about the whole schedule. If you'd like to come in and aren't on the schedule, let me know and I'll add you! Thanks!
Apple Day
Next Wednesday will be Apple Day! We are collecting apple treats to taste. If you are able to donate, let me know.
Thanks again for all you do!
Miss Merritt
No comments:
Post a Comment