Friday, July 29, 2011

August 1, 2011

Dear Parents,

We survived our first week of school! Most of the children seem to be making the transition well--with the common questions of "When's lunch?" and "When do we go home?". They seem happy and excited to learn.

This week, we have a few things going on. Please read the information to be aware of what is going on.

Crayons and Glue
I have been price watching--but I decided to ask for your help. I am price watching the price of Crayola 24 pack crayons and Elmer's School Glue. Right now the stores are asking for about $.40 a box for crayons and about $.90 a bottle for glue. Normally for back to school purposes, I can find these at about a quarter a piece. If you see these prices drop at any of the stores (and where I can by it in a bulk quantity--I need 50 of each!), let me know. We won't be swapping these materials in until winter--so I have a little time to keep looking. But--if you catch it before I do--let me know! Thanks for your help!

Color Days
We will be reviewing our colors the next two weeks. To do this in a fun way, we do one color a day and we wear those colors. Wearing the different colors is optional. We will start on Monday with Red and the rest of the schedule is to the right under the announcements. Thanks for making this fun with your children!

Absences
I just wanted to do a little reminder of the importance of being to school the first three weeks. The first three weeks are vital in teaching your child routines and learning how to be at school all day. Granted, it is important to miss as little as possible with the Chinese program during the whole year. Your children will learn concepts with Mrs. Shumway that can not be learned easily at home--and are hard to make up on a one-on-one basis in her classroom. Please try your best to plan your vacations around our off track times. I know it is hard--I used to be A track and enjoyed earlier summer times out--but the Chinese program will be on C track as long as Foothills is on a year round schedule. One thing I thought I'd mention is when I first switched to this track last year, I thought the August break was great. My friends and family that are traditional are still out--so we were able to plan some things around that time.

Thanks for your understanding of this. It helps us to be more effective teachers when your kids are here! We appreciate all you do to make this happen!

And as for absences--Mrs. Shumway and I will be attending the AUDI conference during the week. Mrs. Shumway will be gone Tuesday-Friday for the conference, but we will have a Chinese sub in her room. I will be gone only on Friday. So--if you have questions for us, let me know during the week and I will do my best to answer them!

Volunteer Project
During the next couple of weeks, I will be having homework folders that need to be glued together and writing folders that need to be collated and put together. If any of you feel you have time to work on this at home for me, please let me know! I will be getting these things ready during the next week. Thanks for your help in this!


Once again, I feel honored to have the chance to work with such outstanding parents. Please let me know if you have come across any questions or concerns that we need to address!

Thanks!
Miss Merritt

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I could help put together some folders for you. I'm Rylee Lystrup's mom =)

Sondi said...

I could help with the folders too. I am Brandon Reynolds mom. sondijean@gmail.com.

Tycksen Family said...

I could also help with folders. I am Grace Tycksen's mom. My email is ntycksen@finishwork.com

Julie Lloyd said...

I saw crayola crayons in the Smiths marketplace at for $.25 but I believe there is a limit of four. Shopko had them last week for $.25 and I was able to price match them at walmart but I didn't know you needed them! I will keep a lookout for you.

Amy said...

I am Anna's Mom and could definitely help with these folders at home, but probably not until the weekend if that's still okay?

Amy said...

I would love to help with folders through he weekend or next week, I'm Anna's mom...thanks!

Bridget said...

I don't know where my comment went but I left one saying I could help with anything from home, just call me or send it home with Bailee. Also, I saw some glue sticks at Big lots. It was a 15 pack for $2. It was an off brand that I am not familiar with so I am not sure how good they would work. If you want to take a chance on them, let me know. K-mart has the crayons for .25 but it is a limit of 4. I know someone that works there, so I am seeing if she can get past that limit or I don't know if Walmart with price match without the limit.

Writing Prompt

This weekly writing prompt is to give you some ideas of things you can write about at home. To make this time more meaningful, maybe have a writing night once a week and have a writing journal that your child can use at home. Have them answer the prompt (it doesn't have to be polished and perfect--our goal is to just write). Modeling along with your child can motivate them to write more! I find that it usually works best with the kids to give them a time limit (like 10-15 minutes). That way they are writing for a duration and if they go longer, that is fine. But--usually when we have to stop at a time limit--there are a few of them that really want to keep going. Share the writing after as you have your child read it to you. It is not a required assignment, but if you'd like to turn it in you may send in the writing with the homework and I'd love to read it. Maybe I can put up a few selections on the blog each week as we see some excellent pieces! Thanks for helping make your children better writers!

Prompt #2
Opinion Writing
Tell about your favorite treat. It needs an introduction sentence (ie There are many different kinds of treats.), an opinion (ie My favorite treat is a chocolate chip cookie.), at least 3 reasons supporting why (ie Chocolate chip cookies are nice and sweet. When they come out of the oven, they warm my stomach up. Chocolate chip cookies go good with a glass of milk.), then they need a closing sentence (ie Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite treat.)


Prompt Week #1
Narrative Story (needs a beginning, middle, and an end)
Write a story about the wind. It can be a real life story that happened to you or a story that you make up. Make sure to include a beginning, middle, and an end.


May Poems

Seed, Sprout, Flower

A seed is planted:
First a sprout,
then stem,
and leaves,
and buds
come out.
Buds grow bigger,
smelling sweet,
bees and birds come
'round to eat.
Bees and birds
help flowers spread
their new seeds on
the garden bed...
A seed is planted.
~Helen H. Moore

Friends
Tall friends, short friends,
Skinny and wide;
Red haired, black haired,
Side by side.

Old friends, young friends,
And in-betweens;
Moms and Grandpas,
Tots and teens.

From Washington
To Delaware
Friends are found
Most anywhere.
~Janet C. Miller

About Miss Merritt

I am originally from Blackfoot, Idaho. I love small towns! I attended BYU-Idaho for my undergraduate studies and received my Masters degree through Southern Utah University. I recently passed my National Boards and am glad to say I am a National Board Certified Teacher. I love learning and enjoy helping others love it too! This will be my 8th year teaching 1st grade.

I love reading! When I was younger, I used to work in libraries and I have developed a great love of childrens books. I love books by Barbara Park, Eric Carle, and Audrey Wood. I have currently been reading classics like Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.

I love the outdoors as well. I love camping and hiking, but I also love traveling and seeing new places. I am a big fan of the beach and I love swimming! I have been to Thailand a few times (my mom is from there!) and I love to see the world. Every year I have a goal to go on a vacation somewhere new.