Dear Parents,
We are down to our last three weeks! There is a lot happening, so make sure to check the blog and websites to know what is going on.
Bubble Day
We are finished with the big reading test I have to give! To celebrate it, we are having bubble day on Thursday, June 14. Your child will need a bottle of bubbles for the activity that day and if you have extra you can send in for any kids who may forget, that would be great to.
Homework/Ice Cream Party/Spelling Bee
I have to apologize. I forgot to send the homework folders back with the Red Class today--Mrs. Shumway left me in charge and I forgot again! In the folders this week we have a couple pieces to work on for the next few. We will be doing Reading For Ice Cream the next two weeks. The directions are in the folder. Our Ice Cream Party will be on Tuesday, June 26. For the party as of now--I will need donations of ice cream (we usually get the buckets for both classes) and I will need a variety of toppings (but nothing with/or processed with nuts to avoid nut allergies!). We will also need bowls and spoons. And I think I will need two parent volunteers who can come in Tuesday afternoon to help us with this party. If you can help with any of these things, let me know! Thanks!
Also in the folder is the spelling bee words. We will be having individual class spelling bees for each class to find the top 5 spellers. The class spelling bee will be on Friday, June 22. You may want to review the different spelling patterns with your child and just play some fun review games with your student until then. The whole 1st grade C Track spelling bee will be on Monday, June 25.
Pop Tops
We are still collecting pop tops from soda cans for our school fundraiser. Send those in!
Library Books
I believe this is our last week to check out library books. If you child is missing a book, you'll want to come in and take care of that with the librarians. Thanks!
Thanks again for all you do for us at school!
Miss Merritt
Monday, June 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Writing Prompt
This weekly writing prompt is to give you some ideas of things you can write about at home. To make this time more meaningful, maybe have a writing night once a week and have a writing journal that your child can use at home. Have them answer the prompt (it doesn't have to be polished and perfect--our goal is to just write). Modeling along with your child can motivate them to write more! I find that it usually works best with the kids to give them a time limit (like 10-15 minutes). That way they are writing for a duration and if they go longer, that is fine. But--usually when we have to stop at a time limit--there are a few of them that really want to keep going. Share the writing after as you have your child read it to you. It is not a required assignment, but if you'd like to turn it in you may send in the writing with the homework and I'd love to read it. Maybe I can put up a few selections on the blog each week as we see some excellent pieces! Thanks for helping make your children better writers!
Prompt #2
Opinion Writing
Tell about your favorite treat. It needs an introduction sentence (ie There are many different kinds of treats.), an opinion (ie My favorite treat is a chocolate chip cookie.), at least 3 reasons supporting why (ie Chocolate chip cookies are nice and sweet. When they come out of the oven, they warm my stomach up. Chocolate chip cookies go good with a glass of milk.), then they need a closing sentence (ie Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite treat.)
Prompt Week #1
Narrative Story (needs a beginning, middle, and an end)
Write a story about the wind. It can be a real life story that happened to you or a story that you make up. Make sure to include a beginning, middle, and an end.
May Poems
Seed, Sprout, Flower
A seed is planted:
First a sprout,
then stem,
and leaves,
and buds
come out.
Buds grow bigger,
smelling sweet,
bees and birds come
'round to eat.
Bees and birds
help flowers spread
their new seeds on
the garden bed...
A seed is planted.
~Helen H. Moore
Friends
Tall friends, short friends,
Skinny and wide;
Red haired, black haired,
Side by side.
Old friends, young friends,
And in-betweens;
Moms and Grandpas,
Tots and teens.
From Washington
To Delaware
Friends are found
Most anywhere.
~Janet C. Miller
About Miss Merritt
I am originally from Blackfoot, Idaho. I love small towns! I attended BYU-Idaho for my undergraduate studies and received my Masters degree through Southern Utah University. I recently passed my National Boards and am glad to say I am a National Board Certified Teacher. I love learning and enjoy helping others love it too! This will be my 8th year teaching 1st grade.
I love reading! When I was younger, I used to work in libraries and I have developed a great love of childrens books. I love books by Barbara Park, Eric Carle, and Audrey Wood. I have currently been reading classics like Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.
I love the outdoors as well. I love camping and hiking, but I also love traveling and seeing new places. I am a big fan of the beach and I love swimming! I have been to Thailand a few times (my mom is from there!) and I love to see the world. Every year I have a goal to go on a vacation somewhere new.
I love reading! When I was younger, I used to work in libraries and I have developed a great love of childrens books. I love books by Barbara Park, Eric Carle, and Audrey Wood. I have currently been reading classics like Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.
I love the outdoors as well. I love camping and hiking, but I also love traveling and seeing new places. I am a big fan of the beach and I love swimming! I have been to Thailand a few times (my mom is from there!) and I love to see the world. Every year I have a goal to go on a vacation somewhere new.
No comments:
Post a Comment