Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February 17, 2009

Dear Parents,

All I can say is wow! What a fun Valentine's party your children had on Friday. If you get a chance, you should tell Katherine Rose and Emily Francis thank you for their hard work. They did a great job and many of your children told me that it was the best party ever! Also, thanks to the volunteers who came and helped! Thank you for your hard work moms!

Ultimate Book Battle
This year we are having another Ultimate Book Battle with Butterfield Canyon. This year--the losing school's principal will have to wear a snake! We want to protect our principal--Mrs. Yost--and defend our title. Even I have to pledge time (good thing I'm working on my masters--I read a lot!).

The contest is based on independent reading at home and at school, although the contest says that your first grader's reading time can count with an adult. We are counting up minutes. This activity is separate from your child's reading minutes for our class. Please keep these on the calendar that will come home Monday.

The contest will run for two weeks. Please return the calendars on Friday, February 27th. Please make sure you total up the minutes (it will help me to get it done faster! Thanks!).

The class with the most minutes will win a writing lesson from the author Brad Wilcox. We want to do our best to see if we can win for the lower grades!

There will also be a literacy night featuring Brad Wilcox. I am not sure of the exact date at this moment in time, but as I find out more, I will update it on here. It will be a fun night to learn about reading and writing!

Please let me know if you have any questions about this activity!

Heart Healthy Month
I have been teaching PE this month! I love PE! And we have been working on jump rope--and I have to tell you how well your children are doing. I have been training them to be able to run through the rope and jump--today we were able to get all the ones I worked with to do this! I was impressed with my students. They are concerned about their health--take advantage of this as their parents!


Once again--I appreciate all you do! Thanks for being so great!

Miss Merritt

No comments:

Writing Prompt

This weekly writing prompt is to give you some ideas of things you can write about at home. To make this time more meaningful, maybe have a writing night once a week and have a writing journal that your child can use at home. Have them answer the prompt (it doesn't have to be polished and perfect--our goal is to just write). Modeling along with your child can motivate them to write more! I find that it usually works best with the kids to give them a time limit (like 10-15 minutes). That way they are writing for a duration and if they go longer, that is fine. But--usually when we have to stop at a time limit--there are a few of them that really want to keep going. Share the writing after as you have your child read it to you. It is not a required assignment, but if you'd like to turn it in you may send in the writing with the homework and I'd love to read it. Maybe I can put up a few selections on the blog each week as we see some excellent pieces! Thanks for helping make your children better writers!

Prompt #2
Opinion Writing
Tell about your favorite treat. It needs an introduction sentence (ie There are many different kinds of treats.), an opinion (ie My favorite treat is a chocolate chip cookie.), at least 3 reasons supporting why (ie Chocolate chip cookies are nice and sweet. When they come out of the oven, they warm my stomach up. Chocolate chip cookies go good with a glass of milk.), then they need a closing sentence (ie Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite treat.)


Prompt Week #1
Narrative Story (needs a beginning, middle, and an end)
Write a story about the wind. It can be a real life story that happened to you or a story that you make up. Make sure to include a beginning, middle, and an end.


May Poems

Seed, Sprout, Flower

A seed is planted:
First a sprout,
then stem,
and leaves,
and buds
come out.
Buds grow bigger,
smelling sweet,
bees and birds come
'round to eat.
Bees and birds
help flowers spread
their new seeds on
the garden bed...
A seed is planted.
~Helen H. Moore

Friends
Tall friends, short friends,
Skinny and wide;
Red haired, black haired,
Side by side.

Old friends, young friends,
And in-betweens;
Moms and Grandpas,
Tots and teens.

From Washington
To Delaware
Friends are found
Most anywhere.
~Janet C. Miller

About Miss Merritt

I am originally from Blackfoot, Idaho. I love small towns! I attended BYU-Idaho for my undergraduate studies and received my Masters degree through Southern Utah University. I recently passed my National Boards and am glad to say I am a National Board Certified Teacher. I love learning and enjoy helping others love it too! This will be my 8th year teaching 1st grade.

I love reading! When I was younger, I used to work in libraries and I have developed a great love of childrens books. I love books by Barbara Park, Eric Carle, and Audrey Wood. I have currently been reading classics like Charles Dickens' Great Expectations.

I love the outdoors as well. I love camping and hiking, but I also love traveling and seeing new places. I am a big fan of the beach and I love swimming! I have been to Thailand a few times (my mom is from there!) and I love to see the world. Every year I have a goal to go on a vacation somewhere new.